February 13, 2012

Visiting Becky

Currently Listening To: Somebody That I Used To Know, Gotye 
Quote Love: "Today is mine. Tomorrow is none of my business. If I peer anxiously into the fog of the future, I will strain my spiritual eyes so that I will not see clearly what is required of me now." - Elisabeth Elliot

Yesterday, I drove to Lynchburg to visit my friend Becky.  

*

Becky and I go way back, to our Ethiopia days. We were neighbors and friends and her dad was my 6th grade teacher, and now she is a freshman at Liberty. I have no idea why I have not gone to visit her before, seeing as Liberty is only an hour and twenty minutes away from me, according to GoogleMaps. (More like an hour in reality, which might account for me getting my first speeding ticket on the way home last night. Unfortunately.)

Anyway, y’all, it really was nice to see her. I think I’ve told you before how it can sometimes be easy to compartmentalize my Ethiopia history. So when I get the chance to talk with someone who knows, who’s been there – and who’s been there much more recently than I have, actually – it’s really refreshing. And hanging out with her was also a good reminder of just how hard that transition from life as a missionary kid overseas to life as a college kid in America is. It made me feel really grateful for the crazy community I take for granted now – and I really hope I was some sort of encouragement to Becky, who’s in the middle of that right now.

So grateful for glimpses of my history right now in my present. Speeding tickets and all.

*this picture was not taken at Liberty, becaue I cannot find my camera card reader to upload the one we did take. This was at Lake Babogaya the summer before last. (Oh, Babogaya, how I miss you.)

1 comment:

  1. I just have to tell you that I have a little blog crush on this blog! I was putting together a playlist for an upcoming trip, and your 'currently listening to' is just perfect for that! I love hearing about other MKs/TCKs. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...