November 5, 2011

Gunpowder, Treason and Plot

Currently: Babysitting.
Line Love: "Self under self, a pile of selves I stand." (from "Summer Farm" by Norman MacCaig)


When I remember, remember the fifth of November, I think of being eight and in Cambridge, of my family walking through cold and dark November to join the expectant crowd gathered at Parker's Piece. There would be a crush of people, the glow and boom of fireworks overhead with oohs and ahhhs echoing after, and, finally, an effigy of Guy Fawkes set atop the huge stack of wood and lit. The bonfire would burn and we would watch for awhile, carnival rides whirling and flashing off to the side (which our parents would never let us ride). Then we would melt to the back of the crowd to get sugar-covered donuts and hot chocolate from one of the food trucks parked around the edge of the park -- a rare treat. It was tradition, every Guy Fawkes Day during our England years.


And I see no reason why gunpowder, treason, should ever be forgot.

(image via We Heart It)

1 comment:

  1. My favourite movie! And My favorite line was "It seems strange that my life should end in such a terrible place, but for three years I had roses and apologized to no one. I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must NEVER let them take it from us. I hope that whoever you are, you escape this place. I hope that the worlds turns, and that things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. Valerie."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...