August 5, 2011

Friday Five



I recently discovered that two good friends of mine have never seen The Sound of Music. I was shocked. Wasn't that a normal part of everyone's childhood? Didn't everybody watch it every year at their grandmother's house at Thanksgiving? Didn't everyone grow up singing about doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles?

Apparently not.

I tried to help these friends get their lives back on track, but our plans to watch it fell through. Twice. Ironically, I ended up watching it earlier this week with a different group of friends...Which inspired me to make a list of just a few of the things I've learned from Fraulein Maria:


Five Life Lessons Learned From The Sound of Music

1. Singing can make any situation – from starting a new job to thunderstorms to your dad being mad at you to having to go to bed early -- better. Unless, of course, you are trying to hide from Nazis.


2. It is possible to make a full set of matching outfits out of old curtains. It is also possible to convince a sixteen-year-old girl to wear old curtains and match her six siblings.


3. Every preteen girl dreams of being sixteen going on seventeen. And having a boy who is seventeen going on eighteen dance her around a gazebo. (And hopefully not turn out to be a Nazi.)


4. It is okay to fast forward Mother Superior’s song. And to skip the majority of the second half (from when Maria returns to the wedding) to get to the good part at the end. Even if you actually only watch 2/3 of the entire movie ever, you can still say you love it.


5. It is always the butler. 


I realize this list barely scratches the surface of the wonder that is The Sound of Music. So if you have any to add, please do so.


[All images via We Heart It]

2 comments:

  1. this just made me want to watch it again! and confession, i still close my eyes at the embarrassing ballroom scene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. i watched it always at my grandmas. at thanksgiving. at Christmas. Whenever we were there. I love that dang movie. And I love this post. Can I just say your blog makes me happy to know that I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...