June 12, 2011

A Lil' Bridal Shower DIY

Quote Love: “Whatever happened to chivalry? Does it only exist in 80's movies? I want John Cusack holding a boombox outside my window. I wanna ride off on a lawnmower with Patrick Dempsey. I want Jake from Sixteen Candles waiting outside the church for me. I want Judd Nelson thrusting his fist into the air because he knows he got me. Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason.” – Olive, from Easy A


So the main reason my family came to Hilton Head this weekend was because some good friends of my grandparents’ hosted a couple’s shower for Linnea and WilliamThis reminded me that I’ve been meaning to share with y’all some things about the shower I threw for Linnea, particularly a quick and easy decoration idea :] (wait, is this about to become one of those blogs? The answer is, temporarily, yes.) (And by those kind, I mean the kind I stalk on a daily basis, wishing my life could be that party-perfect.)

I would have LOVED to go alllll out for my one and only sister’s (not) one and only bridal shower, but unfortunately, it fell in the middle of this week and I had work in the morning and a 12-page paper looming over my head (uggh), and I am only a poor college student (emphasis on poor). But I did still want to make it pretty and special. I love the look of pennant flag banners like these:

(So fun but simple, right? via Pinterest)

…and I wanted to recreate that look, figuring there must be an easy way to do itwithout any actual sewing or (much) time investment. Solution: twine and tissue paper. And double-sided tape. Then, literally, just cut out triangles from the tissue paper, fold the end over the twine and tape it.


I had originally envisioned these against a wall, with two lines of pennant flags –alternating with pictures hanging between each flag – and then another row of just twine beneath, where guests could pin up a note for Linnea. Because of the space, this plan was reworked just a little, but the end result – especially the space to pin up notes, which ended up wrapped between columns (bottom two pictures) – was pretty great, if I do say so myself.

Voila:

 


P.S. speaking of my pennant obsession, check out these invitations (which, yes, I realize are all for baby-related things) and these cake toppers. LOVE.

(A special thanks to Leah Stockstrom's photography skillz and documentation per my request... :] )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...